Tyres, Bead breakers and wood glue.
Forest Edge took it's toll on the right hand side tyres of an old scrub set so I decided to change them with two other tyres from another old sub set. Simple right?
I don't always read things properly so when I decided that it was time to buy William a kart I made a list of the equipment we would need - "bread maker" was on the list. What I should have written down was "bead breaker" but for me the name has stuck. When I change tyres I use a bread maker.
Breaking the bead is the easy part - I take the valve out to get all the air out quickly, stick the tyre in the bread maker and push down. Now the hard part comes getting the tyre off the rim OR getting the rim out of the tyre. The process is actually getting the rim out of the tyre. The video's on YouTube lie. Watch one and they make it look soooo simple, the worst is from Australia from a series by a guy who can't pronounce "chassis" correctly - he says "shazzy". There were times today when I would have quiet happily taken a hammer to him. Why? Well in his video he simply slips the rim out of the tyre after squeezing the tyre ever so slightly. In real life I've found it to be much harder than that. Maybe my grip is very weak so I've always used a clamp to squeeze the tire and then use my other hand to the squeeze the other end of the true and then pull the rim out.
These tyres were not for coming off how every hard I pulled or pushed. In the end I used some washing up liquid to help them slip off and it worked a treat. I used even more to get the tyres I wanted back on the rim. The front tyre inflated nicely and popped over the bead. The back tyre on the other hand was not playing ball. No. It wasn't tight enough on the rim for the air to stay in when I started the compressor - so the air just leaked out. I tried bouncing the wheel off the floor to try and even it up, I tried using a screw driver to move the tyre. All in all I messed around for a good 30 minutes with no joy. Then I remembered the wood glue I had bought - I put a little of that around the edge of the tyre and waited for ten minutes for it to dry. The glue was enough to plug the leaking and the tyre finally inflated and popped onto the rim.
I am a little worried that the tyre is now glued on but the tyre won't be coming off until it is well and truly finished with, so if the worst comes to the worst I'll just have to cut it off.
Author: Jez Caudle. Published: Tuesday July 21 2015Tweet